Saint Andrew’s Scholarship for Study in the UK
Fall 2020 Program Guidelines
The Saint Andrew’s Society of the State of New York has provided over 200 scholarships to promote cultural interchange and goodwill between Scotland and the United States since 1956.
Eligibility and selection criteria for the 2020 | 2021 scholarships are:
- Senior undergraduate students who will obtain a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the Spring of 2020 and can demonstrate the significance of studying in Scotland.
- Proof of application to their selected school will be required for finalists.
Candidates should possess the qualifications which will enable them to be good ambassadors for the United States while in Scotland. The basis for selection shall include the student's:
- Academic achievement
- Extracurricular activities
- Financial need
- Statement of personal objectives
- Some Scottish descent
- Proof of US citizenship
Only one applicant shall be considered from each institution per year.
Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously studied in the United Kingdom.
Candidates must reside or attend school within 250 miles of New York State.
Letters of reference from appropriate professors are required.
An appropriate official, with knowledge of the applicant’s financial status, must certify that assistance would be required for a year of graduate study in Scotland.
It is the Scholarship Committee’s usual practice to invite six (6) finalists to a luncheon in New York City during February or early March. Following this meeting, three (3) of these finalists will be awarded a scholarship for graduate study in Scotland.
DEADLINE: December 15 of senior year
For information on how to apply to the Saint Andrew’s Scholarship Program for STUDY IN THE UK, please contact the Fellowships Office at your current academic institution. Application packages are distributed directly by the academic institution at which you attend.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Can I apply for a Saint Andrew's Scholarship Program (SASP) on my own?
Your current academic institution must propose you as a candidate for the SASP.
2. How do I get an application?
Application packages are distributed to each academic institution. Contact the Fellowships Office at your current academic institution for the application.
3. When should I apply for the Saint Andrew's Scholarship Program to Study in the UK?
Senior undergraduate students who will obtain a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the Spring of 2020 and can demonstrate the significance of studying in Scotland.
4. Are the Scholarships open to Undergraduate Study in the UK?
The SASP to Study in the UK is for Graduate or Advanced degree study only.
5. What is Scottish lineal descent?
If you were not born in Scotland, then your Scottish heritage would be determined through your parents.
Please contact Saint Andrew's Society of the State of New York should you have any further questions about the Scholarship Program.